Uttarakhand calamity a national tragedy: Narendra Modi
Dehradun: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Friday said the natural calamity that struck Uttarakhand has the proportions of a national tragedy.
"In this hour of crisis, the whole country stands in solidarity with the hill state. We will do all we can to lend a helping hand to the state government to deal with this crisis," Modi told reporters soon after he arrived here tonight.
The BJP leader arrived here to undertake a tour of the affected areas in rain-hit Uttarakhand where the famed Char Dhams have borne the brunt of devastation, especially Kedarnath which has turned virtually into a ghost town with an unspecified number of bodies lying under tonnes of debris in the temple premises and many strewn all over.
Modi said he will meet Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna tomorrow and offer all help needed to meet the situation.
The Gujarat CM is also here to ensure smooth passage of pilgrims from his state stranded at the Himalayan shrines to their homes.
Two chartered planes 747 Boeings (Jet Airways) with a capacity of 140 persons each will start evacuating Gujarat pilgrims from high altitude areas in Uttarakhand to Ahmedabad in two separate sorties tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read