Uttarakhand chopper crash: IAF pilot cremated in Madurai
Madurai: A large number of people on Saturday bid a tearful adieu to IAF pilot K Praveen, killed in a helicopter crash during a rescue mission in Uttarakhand, at the funeral held at his native place here.
Amid poignant scenes, the body of Praveen was cremated with full state honours.
Earlier, the body was brought by a special flight here and officials including District Collector Anshul Mishra, SP Balakrishnan and IAF personnel, paid homage to him.
Tamil Nadu Minister Sellur K Raju, who represented the state government, said Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had announced a solatium of Rs 10 lakh to the mother of Praveen, her only son.
Hundreds of people participated in the funeral procession from his house at TVS Nagar to Keerathurai Moolakarai cremation ghat where the body was consigned to flames.
27-year-old Flt Lt Praveen was among the 20 rescue personnel killed in June 25 helicopter crash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- South Africa hold 372-run lead over New Zealand despite top order collapse in second innings
- Government defers mega spectrum auction by 2 days to Oct 1
- Attempt to provoke India again? Pak aircraft violates Indian airspace in J&K
- No blanket ban on pellet guns in Kashmir Valley, to be used in 'rarest of rare cases'
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda