Uttarakhand chopper crash: IAF pilot cremated in Madurai
Madurai: A large number of people on Saturday bid a tearful adieu to IAF pilot K Praveen, killed in a helicopter crash during a rescue mission in Uttarakhand, at the funeral held at his native place here.
Amid poignant scenes, the body of Praveen was cremated with full state honours.
Earlier, the body was brought by a special flight here and officials including District Collector Anshul Mishra, SP Balakrishnan and IAF personnel, paid homage to him.
Tamil Nadu Minister Sellur K Raju, who represented the state government, said Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had announced a solatium of Rs 10 lakh to the mother of Praveen, her only son.
Hundreds of people participated in the funeral procession from his house at TVS Nagar to Keerathurai Moolakarai cremation ghat where the body was consigned to flames.
27-year-old Flt Lt Praveen was among the 20 rescue personnel killed in June 25 helicopter crash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed