Uttarakhand chopper crash: IAF pilot cremated in Madurai
Madurai: A large number of people on Saturday bid a tearful adieu to IAF pilot K Praveen, killed in a helicopter crash during a rescue mission in Uttarakhand, at the funeral held at his native place here.
Amid poignant scenes, the body of Praveen was cremated with full state honours.
Earlier, the body was brought by a special flight here and officials including District Collector Anshul Mishra, SP Balakrishnan and IAF personnel, paid homage to him.
Tamil Nadu Minister Sellur K Raju, who represented the state government, said Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had announced a solatium of Rs 10 lakh to the mother of Praveen, her only son.
Hundreds of people participated in the funeral procession from his house at TVS Nagar to Keerathurai Moolakarai cremation ghat where the body was consigned to flames.
27-year-old Flt Lt Praveen was among the 20 rescue personnel killed in June 25 helicopter crash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Oppressed Dalits will teach a lesson to BJP: Arvind Kejriwal in Gujarat
- Una incident: Dalit victim back in hospital ahead of Rahul Gandhi’s visit under 'political pressure'
- Chinese anti-graft protest leader arrested for taking bribes
- Rajinikanth’s ‘Kabali’ tweet review
- John Kerry calls for new measures to counter changing Islamic State