Uttarakhand floods: Sonia asks all Congress MPs, MLAs to donate salary
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Friday directed all party MPs and MLAs to donate their one month salary for relief work in the flood-ravaged Uttarakhand as the magnitude of the flash flood tragedy continued to unfold taking the death toll in the rain fury to 190.
Gandhi also directed all party MPs from Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha to give Rs 10 lakh each from their MPLAD fund for carrying out relief work there," party`s communication department in-charge Ajay Maken said.
Congress has currently 203 members in the Lok Sabha and 72 in Rajya Sabha.
The party has also set up a PCC control room at Dehradun to accelerate the relief work.
AICC secretary Sanjay Kapoor and the party`s wing Seva Dal`s chief Mahendra Joshi have been sent to Dehradun to monitor the work.
"All PCC chiefs are being asked to send all the relief materials from their states to Uttarakhand immediately," Maken said.
Terming it as the "worst tragedy of the millennium", Agriculture Minister of Uttarakhand government Harak Singh Rawat said, "It will take us at least five years to recover from the extensive damages caused to the entire infrastructure network in the Kedarnath area which is the worst affected."
Rawat, who had visited the Kedarnath area, said that he spent five hours there and was shocked to see the extent of the damage caused to the buildings and area adjoining the shrine.
Operations to rescue over 9000 stranded in Kedarnath and Badrinath were stepped up with deployment of 40 helicopters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars