Uttarakhand: Prayers resume at Kedarnath; decision on pilgrims by month end
Zee Media Bureau
Dehradun/Kedarnath: As the clock stuck seven on Wednesday morning, the chief priest of Kedarnath stepped into the sanctum-sanctorum of the 6th century shrine to resume prayers; 86 days after ravaging floods destroyed the temple town and left hundreds dead.
Amid chanting of Vedic hymns and blowing of conch shells, Rawal Bhima Shankar Ling Shivacharya led team of 25-30 priests first carried out ‘’shuddikaran’ (purification) and `prayashchitikaran` (atonement for prolonged suspension of prayers at the shrine) and then resumed the prayers as per rituals associated with Kedarnath shrine.
After the deathly silence, positive energy reverberated through the Kedar valley even as it remained enveloped in thick fog since morning.
September 11 was chosen as the date to resume prayers as today’s ‘Sarwartha Siddi Yog’ was considered to be auspicious.
Due to inclement weather condition, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna, who was also scheduled to attend the prayers, could not take off from Dehradun. However, his ministerial colleague Harak Singh Rawat is present at Kedarnath.
Speaking to reporters in the state capital, Bahuguna said that the area around the temple has been cleared and prayers have resumed. He also requested all not to indulge in politics over the issue.
However, the resumption of prayers at the 13,500 ft-high shrine is of limited nature, as no pilgrim is being allowed right now to visit the temple.
A meeting is scheduled to be held on September 30 to decide the date for resumption of Yatra to the famed Himalayan temple.
Prayers at the shrine were suspended after the flash floods wreaked havoc in Uttarakhand, especially in the hill districts of Rudraprayag, Urttarakashi, Chamoli and Pittoragrh, leading to the death of over 600 people as per official figures, and leaving more than 4,000 missing.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!