Uttarakhand: Prayers resume at Kedarnath; decision on pilgrims by month end
Zee Media Bureau
Dehradun/Kedarnath: As the clock stuck seven on Wednesday morning, the chief priest of Kedarnath stepped into the sanctum-sanctorum of the 6th century shrine to resume prayers; 86 days after ravaging floods destroyed the temple town and left hundreds dead.
Amid chanting of Vedic hymns and blowing of conch shells, Rawal Bhima Shankar Ling Shivacharya led team of 25-30 priests first carried out ‘’shuddikaran’ (purification) and `prayashchitikaran` (atonement for prolonged suspension of prayers at the shrine) and then resumed the prayers as per rituals associated with Kedarnath shrine.
After the deathly silence, positive energy reverberated through the Kedar valley even as it remained enveloped in thick fog since morning.
September 11 was chosen as the date to resume prayers as today’s ‘Sarwartha Siddi Yog’ was considered to be auspicious.
Due to inclement weather condition, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna, who was also scheduled to attend the prayers, could not take off from Dehradun. However, his ministerial colleague Harak Singh Rawat is present at Kedarnath.
Speaking to reporters in the state capital, Bahuguna said that the area around the temple has been cleared and prayers have resumed. He also requested all not to indulge in politics over the issue.
However, the resumption of prayers at the 13,500 ft-high shrine is of limited nature, as no pilgrim is being allowed right now to visit the temple.
A meeting is scheduled to be held on September 30 to decide the date for resumption of Yatra to the famed Himalayan temple.
Prayers at the shrine were suspended after the flash floods wreaked havoc in Uttarakhand, especially in the hill districts of Rudraprayag, Urttarakashi, Chamoli and Pittoragrh, leading to the death of over 600 people as per official figures, and leaving more than 4,000 missing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Japan protests to Russia over man detained on disputed island
- I gossiped about Hollywood with Nathan Jones: Jacqueline Fernandez
- Tribal community members in Goa narrate their woes to Arvind Kejriwal
- Philippines and communist rebels start peace talks after truce
- Seoul, Washington kick off joint annual war game