Uttarakhand tragedy: Uma Bharti takes step to prevent disasters in future
On the first anniversary of the devastation caused by flash floods in Uttarakhand last June 16, Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti on Monday said that she will personally review the development work carried out by the state government after the incident.
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
New Delhi: On the first anniversary of the devastation caused by flash floods in Uttarakhand last June 16, Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti on Monday said that she will personally review the development work carried out by the state government after the incident.
Bharti, further added that her ministry is making plans and strategies for restoration of life and property in the flood-affected areas.
While announcing important measures, including repair of river embankments, Bharti also said that A nationwide tree plantation drive and public awareness programme will be held Tuesday on the first anniversary of the Kedarnath tragedy, as per IANS report.
Furthermore, Central Water Commission, which gives advance warning of floods in rivers, has been instructed to give warnings about any increase in the water level of lakes of more than 50 hectares size and located in high altitude.
The tree plantation drive will be held in Gangotri, Haridwar, Kanpur, Allahabad, Varanasi, Patna, Nabadwip and Ganga Sagar.
A few days after the tragedy last year, Bharti had slammed the state government and said that had the Bahuguna-led government been less negligent and issued warnings well in time, the number of casualties could have been averted.
On June 16, 2013 the Mandakani, Bhagirathi, Alaknanda and other rivers were in spate due to sudden burst of a cloud that killed thousands and left many stranded.
Moreover, the landslides aftermath washed away bridges, roads,
Although a lot was promised by the government to ensure more safety, lesser environmental damage and prompt rescue of those trapped in the difficult terrain, locals rue nothing has changed.
As per reports, most of the roads that were washed away in the disaster have not yet been relaid. Besides this, the restoration work that was carried out by the Indian Army`s Central Command in the region has not been completed at many places.
Many villages destroyed in the disaster are still seeking for financial help.
(With IANS inputs)