V Narayanasamy caught on tape; contradicts national auditor CAG
New Delhi: In a major embarrassment for PMO minister V Narayanasamy, who had earlier denied saying that the government was considering making CAG a multi-member body, has been caught in an audio tape that he had indeed made the comments, according to a news report.
News agency PTI has released the audio of what the minister had actually said.
In the audio, the minister was directly asked a question on whether the government was considering making CAG a multimember body and he said that the government was actively considering it. This directly contradicts Mr Narayanasamy`s denials of the same.
On Monday, the Press Trust of India had said that the minister had disclosed that the government is actively considering converting the office of the CAG or Controller and Auditor General into a committee with three members.
However, Mr Narayanasamy said that he had been misquoted.
The entire controversy came under a sharp attack from political parties which have warned that any such attempt may boomerang and vowed to oppose it inside and outside Parliament.
Reacting to Minister of State in the PMO V Narayanasamy`s interview to PTI in which he had talked about consideration of a proposal to make CAG a multi-member body, Congress made it clear that government would not make institutional measures based on the activities of "a person" (incumbent CAG).
The Minister has since sought to retract his statement.
However, Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tiwari, who avoided a direct comment on the CAG issue, spoke of the multi-member experiment of the Election Commission which he said has stood in "good stead over the decades".
Attacking the government, BJP said Narayanasamy`s remarks on the CAG issue was a "disturbing attempt" to reduce the authority of the Constitutional body.
"BJP takes serious objection to this disturbing attempt by the government...We seriously apprehend that this remark of the minister is not an off-the-cuff remark," BJP Chief Spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
"We would like to warn this government that any attempt to reduce the authority of CAG and compromise the constitutional integrity of the state institutions will be seriously opposed both inside and outside the Parliament," he said.
UPA`s outside ally Samajwadi Party and the Left parties too joined the criticism of the government over the proposal and questioned the timing of such a talk when the CAG had brought out damaging reports on 2G and Coal block allocations and Commonwealth Games.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings