Vadodara hosts tomato fight fest, locals fume over `wastage`
Vadodara: Youths here on Sunday celebrated `La Tomatina` to mark the Friendship Day, perhaps unmindful of the fact that price of the commodity has soared to Rs 100 per kg in markets.
The local `La Tomatina` event (in which participants hurl tomatoes and get involved in the tomato fight) was organised at a private farm house, located on Sama-Savli Road on the outskirts of the city.
"The tomato hurling festival was organised for enjoyment and youths from Surat, Vadodara and neighbouring Vallabhvidya Nagar participated in it," said organiser of the event who identified himself only as Abhishek.
However, the local `La Tomatina` event did not go down well with many, including former minister and the chairman of the Gujarat Civil Supply Corporation Bhupendra Lakhawala.
"Tomatoes should not have been wasted like this as it is a very costly vegetable, priced at Rs 100 per kg in the market today," he said.
According to estimates, three tonne of tomatoes were used in this event which lasted two hours, where every participant was charged an entry fee of Rs 300.
One of the participants said that those who took part in the event had no regrets.
Meanwhile, many citizens have demanded a stern action against the organisers and also the participants for "wasting" precious tomatoes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months