Vahanvati says SC justified in no reasons for Ayodhya order
New Delhi: Attorney General G E Vahanvati
today said the Supreme Court was "justified" in not giving any
reasons while dismissing the plea for deferment of Allahabad
High Court verdict on the Ayodhya title suit.
"According to me, the court is justified in not giving
reasons for its order," the Attorney General told PTI.
"Giving reasons in this case would not have served any
purpose. It could have aggravated the matter," he said.
"This is a correct thing to do. Day in and day out,
Special Leave Petitions are dismissed without giving any
reasons," Vahanvati further said.
The Attorney General`s view on the verdict was in
sharp contrast to the opinon of senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi,
who said the court should have delivered the order by
assigning reasons too.
"What are the reasons (for the dismissal) are not
indicated in the order and neither will be known in the
future," Rohatgi, who argued for deferment of High Court
judgement on behalf of Ramesh Chandra Tripathi, said.
He further said that the Centre`s stand did not make
any sense. "They are only saying we want an amicable
resolution but will not do anything. It is neither rational
"The Centre took no stand," he said referring to the
arguments made by Vahanvati, who was asked to assist the court
in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days