Vaidik-Hafiz Saeed meet: Congress wants govt to clarify
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
New Delhi: Raising the issue of key Baba Ramdev aide and senior journalist Ved Pratap Vaidik`s meeting with Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed, the Congress demanded a clarification from the government on Monday.
Congress leaders raised the issue in Parliament and sought an explanation from the government on whether Vaidik`s meeting with the dreaded terrorist was in its know.
Protests by the Congress leader sled to the adjournment of the Rajya Sabha till noon.
Congress leader Manish Tewari termed Vaidik`s meeting with Saeed as bizarre and said that it is intriguing that a senior journalist like Vaidik met India`s enemy number one who had orchestrated 26/11 attack and is patron of anti-Indian militants.
Another senior leader Digvijay Singh tweeted: “Ved Pratap Vedik meets Hafiz Sayeed . Any reaction on Social Media ? Did he go as an Envoy of NDA Govt or as a personal Envoy of PM?”
Reacting to Digvijay Singh`s comment, Vaidik said, “I have never been a special envoy for any PM, I am my own envoy. If I didn`t become an envoy for Indira Gandhi, Narsimha Rao or Atal Behari Vajpayee why would I be an envoy for Narendra Modi? I have been meeting Presidents & PM of countries & rebel forces, I wasn`t envoy of any PM.”
Ved Pratap Vedik meets Hafiz Sayeed . Any reaction on Social Media ? Did he go as an Envoy of NDA Govt or as a personal Envoy of PM ?
— digvijaya singh (@digvijaya_28) July 13, 2014
Vaidik had an hour-long meeting with Saeed at the latter’s residence in Lahore earlier this month. He claimed that he had a candid discussion with him on a range of issues, including the emergence of Narendra Modi as Prime Minister of India,, terrorism and the recent inclusion of JuD in the list of terrorist organisations drawn up by the US.
Vaidik said that he contradicted all of Saeed`s statements. “Discussion was tensed initially, then his views were changed,” he said, while also adding that at the end of the meeting, Saeed requested him to invite him to India so that he can hold a large public meeting to clarify his position.
The issue has taken a political colour with the opposition pressing the government to clear its stand on the issue.
However, most senior BJP leaders are shying away from saying anything on the issue with even Home Minister Rajnath Singh choosing to dodge questions on the issue in Parliament today.
Baba Ramdev has come out in support of Vaidik, he argued that Vaidik`s intention must be known first. The yoga guru stressed that Vaidik is a “nationalist” and he must have “changed” Saeed`s mind.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says