Vaidik-Hafiz Saeed meet: Congress wants govt to clarify
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
New Delhi: Raising the issue of key Baba Ramdev aide and senior journalist Ved Pratap Vaidik`s meeting with Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed, the Congress demanded a clarification from the government on Monday.
Congress leaders raised the issue in Parliament and sought an explanation from the government on whether Vaidik`s meeting with the dreaded terrorist was in its know.
Protests by the Congress leader sled to the adjournment of the Rajya Sabha till noon.
Congress leader Manish Tewari termed Vaidik`s meeting with Saeed as bizarre and said that it is intriguing that a senior journalist like Vaidik met India`s enemy number one who had orchestrated 26/11 attack and is patron of anti-Indian militants.
Another senior leader Digvijay Singh tweeted: “Ved Pratap Vedik meets Hafiz Sayeed . Any reaction on Social Media ? Did he go as an Envoy of NDA Govt or as a personal Envoy of PM?”
Reacting to Digvijay Singh`s comment, Vaidik said, “I have never been a special envoy for any PM, I am my own envoy. If I didn`t become an envoy for Indira Gandhi, Narsimha Rao or Atal Behari Vajpayee why would I be an envoy for Narendra Modi? I have been meeting Presidents & PM of countries & rebel forces, I wasn`t envoy of any PM.”
Ved Pratap Vedik meets Hafiz Sayeed . Any reaction on Social Media ? Did he go as an Envoy of NDA Govt or as a personal Envoy of PM ?
— digvijaya singh (@digvijaya_28) July 13, 2014
Vaidik had an hour-long meeting with Saeed at the latter’s residence in Lahore earlier this month. He claimed that he had a candid discussion with him on a range of issues, including the emergence of Narendra Modi as Prime Minister of India,, terrorism and the recent inclusion of JuD in the list of terrorist organisations drawn up by the US.
Vaidik said that he contradicted all of Saeed`s statements. “Discussion was tensed initially, then his views were changed,” he said, while also adding that at the end of the meeting, Saeed requested him to invite him to India so that he can hold a large public meeting to clarify his position.
The issue has taken a political colour with the opposition pressing the government to clear its stand on the issue.
However, most senior BJP leaders are shying away from saying anything on the issue with even Home Minister Rajnath Singh choosing to dodge questions on the issue in Parliament today.
Baba Ramdev has come out in support of Vaidik, he argued that Vaidik`s intention must be known first. The yoga guru stressed that Vaidik is a “nationalist” and he must have “changed” Saeed`s mind.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Tour de France 2016: After third title, Chris Froome focuses on Rio Olympics 2016
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned today
- Journalists visa row: There'll be 'serious consequences', China warns India
- Protests over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew in south Kashmir to prevent separatist called march
- Bernie Sanders to emphasise agreements with Hillary Clinton at National Convention