Vaiko not aggrieved person to challenge ban on LTTE: MHA
Chennai: The Union Home Ministry on Thursday
told the Madras High Court that MDMK general secretary Vaiko
is not an aggrieved person to challenge a tribunal`s order
confirming a central government`s notification extending ban
on the LTTE.
In its counter to his petition, the Centre said Vaiko
had no locus standi to appear before the tribunal or to seek
intervention. Unless the petitioner proved with supporting
evidence to demonstrate that he was an aggrieved person, his
writ petition was not maintainable, it was contended.
The Centre objected to the petitioner`s claim that the
LTTE`s objective was not for establishing an independent
sovereign state for all Tamils living in the entire world but
only for Tamils in Sri Lanka and therefore there was no threat
to India`s sovereignty.
"Vaiko is neither an office-bearer nor an LTTE member.
He is not the organisation`s spokesman," the Centre said in
It was submitted in the affidavit that the LTTE`s
objectives spoke of all Tamils irrespective of the
An inference was irresistible that when immediate
struggle of the organisation was against the Sri Lankan
government for establishing Tamil Eelam in the north and east
of the island, its ultimate objective was to form a larger
Tamil country, including areas of India where Tamils lived,
the Centre said.
In a separate counter to a petition by `Prisoners`
Rights Forum,` a forum fighting for the rights of Lankan
Tamils, the Centre said the petitioner was not the aggrieved
person within ambit of the Act and the Madras High Court did
not have territorial jurisdiction to entertain the present
Vaiko and Prisoners Rights Forum had challenged the
Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Tribunal, headed by Justice
Vikramjit Sen, which had passed an order last November last
confirming Central government`s notification, banning LTTE.
LTTE was first declared an unlawful association by a
notification on May 24, 1992 and thereafter the ban has been
extended periodically by subsequent notifications. All the
declarations were confirmed by the Tribunal, constituted under
the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967.
When the matter came up before the first bench,
comprising Chief Justice M Y Eqbal and Justice T S Sivagnanam,
the Additional Solicitor-General of India, M Ravindran filed
the counter on behalf of Virendra Kumar, Under Secretary in
the Union Home Ministry.
Vaiko, who is party in person, was present in the
court. The Bench adjourned the case to February 10 for further
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation