Vaiko threatens `siege` of PM`s residence if Rajapaksa visits again
Chennai: Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) general secretary Vaiko has issued an ultimatum that his party cadres would lay ``siege`` to the Prime Minister`s residence in New Delhi if Sri Lanka`s President Mahinda Rajapaksa visits the country again.
Reacting to the just concluded visit of President Rajapaksa to the Madhya Pradesh, Vaiko said: "I have already declared in Sanchi, that if the UPA Government dares to invite the killer of Tamils, Mahinda Rajapaksa, the MDMK will hold a siege at 7, Race Course Road, the residence of the Prime Minister."
"We have (also) planned to organise meetings in every state capital in which human rights activists who are concerned about the rights of the Tamils, who condemn the genocide of the Tamils, will also participate," he added.
President Rajapaksa`s visit to Sanchi to inaugurate a Buddhist institution had provoked both furor and outrage among Tamil organisations, since they accused him of having committed human rights violations.
Earlier, the founder of Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi (VCK) party and lawmaker, Thol Thirumavalavan, had said the Tamil community was deeply hurt by the government`s insensitivity towards the issue.
"We strongly condemn the attitude of the union government which is against Tamil community and ethnic society. The whole Tamil community is agitating against the visit of Rajapaksa to India but union government is not bothering about this demand," he said.
"So, we strongly condemn the attitude of the union government. We demand the government to send back Rajapaksa to Sri Lanka," Thirumavalavan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday