Vajpayee, Advani`s era has ended in BJP: Karuna Shukla
Bhopal: Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee`s niece Karuna Shukla, who quit BJP and joined Congress recently, on Sunday said the era of veteran leaders like Vajpayee and L K Advani in the saffron party has ended.
Shukla, a former Lok Sabha MP, resigned from BJP in October last year, alleging she was being "continuously neglected" by senior leaders.
"The era of Atal Bihari Vajpayee and L K Advani in the BJP has come to an end," 63-year-old Shukla told PTI.
The BJP is now being run by a group of individuals including Narendra Modi, Rajnath Singh and some others, she claimed.
Shukla, who had a 32-year-long association with BJP, said it was a very painful decision for her to leave the party for which she had worked from the ward to the national level.
The Congress candidate from Bilaspur Lok Sabha constituency, Shukla, daughter of Vajpayee`s elder brother, alleged she felt "miserable" in the Chhattisgarh party unit under the leadership of Chief Minister Raman Singh and that BJP treated her "badly."
To a question, she quipped though BJP did not treat her well, it may give proper treatment to Ram Kripal Yadav, a former close aide of RJD president Lalu Prasad Yadav who has been given ticket by the saffron outfit from Pataliputra, and veteran leader Jagdambika Pal, who recently quit Congress amid speculation that he was warming up to BJP.
In the 2009 Lok Sabha elections, Congress won only one seat from Chhattisgarh, but Shukla expressed confidence that this time the party will win at least four seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez