Vajpayee turns 88; PM, senior leaders greet him
New Delhi: Former prime minister Atal Behari Vajpayee, who turned 88 on Sunday, was greeted by a host of senior leaders including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Dr Singh presented a bouquet to the senior BJP leader. Vajpayee`s birthday is being observed as good governance day by the BJP.
"Today is Atalji`s birthday and we have decided to observe his birthday as good governance day. Because people still remember the good governance during Vajpyee-led NDA
rule," BJP president Nitin Gadkari told reporters after meeting Vajpayee.
Senior BJP leader LK Advani followed by Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitley, Ravi Shankar Prasad and many others also visited Vajpayee`s residence to greet him on his birthday.
"Greetings and well wishes are coming from all over the country for Atalji. He is the tallest leader of the BJP and is our source of inspiration. Though he is not able to work
actively, his presence is still a source of inspiration for all party workers," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.
Scores of BJP workers and supporters carrying bouquets had come to greet Vajpayee. Vajpayee has not been keeping well for sometime now and did not contest the 1999 Lok Sabha elections.
Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha Karia Munda, Uttarakhand Chief Minister BC Khanduri, Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Modi and BJP leader Najma Heptullah were among others
who greeted Vajpayee on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about