Vanzara`s statement an indictment of Modi: Congress
New Delhi: Congress Tuesday used the resignation of D G Vanzara to attack Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi saying the IPS officer`s statement proves that fake encounters were a policy of the state government.
Party spokesperson Sandeep Dikshit said the statements of Vanzara after he tendered his resignation show that "everybody, including the highest post in that state, was in conscious knowledge of what was happening."
He said the senior officer`s remarks show that he has been let down by the government because "he and 32 other officers were actually doing something that was a considered, conscious, known and sanctioned policy of the Gujarat government."
AICC General Secretary Digvijay Singh said most of the encounters which took place in Gujarat were false "done probably for the image build up of Narendra Modi, the sole fighter against terror activities and sole activist for the Hindus."
He said Vanzara`s statement reflects the mindset of the Gujarat police officers.
Vanzara is suspended and behind the bars for a series of alleged fake encounters. He resigned from service accusing Narendra Modi government of having failed to protect the jailed police officers who fought against "Pakistan inspired terrorism".
Singh said after the resignation of the IPS officer, it becomes all the more important to carry out investigations and "whoever it may be, strongest action should be taken against all those involved in the crime."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video