Varsities should be made more universal to flourish: Moily
Chennai: The Indian university system, which was once the best in Asia, has fallen on "bad times" and needs a revamp, Union Law Minister M Veerappa Moily on Sunday
"There is need to revamp the entire university system and define the size, scope and operation of universities very clearly. India`s universities need to be made more universal
if they are to flourish", he said in his address at the sixth convocation of the SRM University near here.
Recent tendency by most of the universities to add programmes with the aim of generating more funds must stop, he said.
Pointing out that the latest ranking of world universities shows that India has a long way to go in higher education, he said, "Its once proud university system, the
best in Asia after the second world war, has fallen on very bad times".
"It is not that Indian university education has languished altogether. The IITs (even though they have a lot to answer for), IIMs and a host of other universities such as
Delhi and JNU have brought high quality higher education to India", he said.
Quoting a recent National Association of Software and Services Companies study, he said only ten percent of graduates from B-schools and less than 25 percent students
from engineering institutes were actually employable, while the rest were "unemployable".
"In fact, there is a widening gap and mismatch between education and employment", he said, adding "the education system is churning out job seekers in such a large number that
employment of the educated has assumed monstrous proportions".
He also appealed to students to work selflessly for the country, strengthen its great traditions and values, particularly, its pluralistic ethos.
"You must also be sensitive to the welfare of the under privileged sections of society and to environmental concerns", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers