Varun Gandhi in Ramlila to support Anna
New Delhi: Firebrand BJP MP from Pilibhit and an open supporter of the anti-graft Lokpal Bill, Varun Gandhi on Wednesday morning reached Ramlila Maidan to extend his support to the fasting social activist Anna Hazare.
Varun went to meet Anna supporters and was seated on ground like the common men. Talking to media persons from the sidelines of Ramlila Maidan, he said, “I am here to support Anna in his campaign against the corruption.”
Varun, however informed that he hasn’t met the Gandhian yet.
Varun’s visit once again gave rise to the speculations of Anna Hazare being close to the right wing. Earlier, his statement praising Gujarat’s Narendra Modi government drew flak from activists across the country after which he was forced to withdraw his statement.
Ealier, Varun Gandhi said he would present the Jan Lokpal bill, drafted by Team Anna, as a private member`s bill in the Lok Sabha, keeping in mind the huge support from the youth for social activist Anna Hazare.
"Our time starts now. I stand for the spirit of the legislation as an Indian. I hope this way I would be able to make a small contribution towards the legislative process," said the young Pilibhit MP.
Observing that a beginning has to be made, Varun said as people can`t wait for five years for a fresh bill to be introduced in parliament, "We need to put a system in place. We must think why millions of young people have joined the protest against corruption."
He had also said there was no confirmation when the Jan Lokpal bill might be presented as a private member`s bill in the lower house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing