Vasan appreciates David Cameron`s efforts on ethnic Tamils
Chennai: Union Shipping Minister G K Vasan on Monday hailed the "positive" efforts by British Prime Minister David Cameron in seeking an independent probe into alleged human rights violations against ethnic Tamils during the just concluded Commonwealth Heads of Government meet in Sri Lanka.
"Nobody can deny his positive efforts in two days," Vasan said while speaking to the press on the sidelines of a function here.
To a query he said External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, who represented India at the meet could have discussed with his counterparts from other member countries about the alleged human rights violations.
"I am convinced and justified on India`s representation led by Salman Khurshid and also the long pending demand of India for welfare of Tamils living in Sri Lanka".
Vasan refused to be drawn into discussions on TESO, a pro Eelam outfit`s demand for Parliament to pass a resolution, urging Sri Lanka to probe human rights violations. "I have already stated whatever I had to say on the issue", he said.
Cameron had urged Sri Lanka to complete an independent probe into alleged human rights violations by March next year.
The DMK supported TESO at its meet yesterday had called for passing a resolution in the coming Parliament session pressing for a probe into human rights violations in the neighbouring Island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi