Vastanvi`s election causes rift in Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind
New Delhi: The election of Maulana Gulam
Vastanvi as the chief of Darul Uloom Deoband seminary has
apparently caused a rift in the prominent Muslim outfit Jamiat
Ulema-e-Hind, whose chief had lost out in the contest.
Days after Jamiat chief Arshad Madni dissolved the
Assam unit of the outfit, its head Maulana Badruddin Ajmal
alleged that he was "punished" for voting for Vastanvi.
"I have been punished because I voted for Vastanvi,"
said Ajmal, who is a member of the Majlis- e-Shura (governing
council) of the Deoband. In the January 10 election of the
chief of Darul Uloom Deoband, Vastanvi had defeated Madni.
Madni had on February 8 dismissed the outfit`s Assam
unit on charges that the organisation was being used for
political gains. Ajmal, an MP from Dhubri and president of
All India United Democratic Front, was heading the Assam unit
at that time. He was seen as a close aide of Madni until now.
Lashing out at Madni, Ajmal said, "Dissolving the
Assam unit of Jamiat is illegitimate. We do not accept this.
This is a conspiracy of the Congress and the national
leadership of Jamiat."
Assam is likely to go to polls in May this year.
He alleged that "Madni had come to Assam a few days
ago and had met the chief minister and other Congressmen
"He declared openly that he is a Congressman. Now who
is indulging in politics?" said Ajmal.
However, Madni in an e-mail to PTI rebutted all the
allegations and said, "Jamiat is purely a non-political
"He (Ajmal) was working against the principles of
the Jamiat and so the Assam unit was dissolved. All the
allegations are baseless."
Meanwhile, the seminary`s governing council, which has
at present 17 members, will meet on February 23 to decide the
fate of Vastanvi, who has offered to resign after his comments
on Gujarat sparked a controversy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'