Vayalar Ravi apologises as activists fume at sexist comment
New Delhi: Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi on Thursday apologised after his comment with sexist innuendo against a woman journalist from Kerala landed him in trouble with women activists and the BJP.
"I`m sorry for the comment. I have already conveyed my regret for the remark to the TV channel in which the journalist works," Ravi said.
But National Commission for Woman chairperson Mamta Sharma said the commission would probe the matter.
"Coming from the position of power and maturity, it is really highly deplorable that he has made such a sexist comment," said rights activist Ranjana Kumari.
She said the issue should be raised in parliament as "this has become almost a habit of the political class".
"If he lost control, definitely apology is justified," said BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said Ravi has apologised for his comments and the matter should rest there.
The woman journalist Thursday sought Ravi`s reaction Thursday on demand to make Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson PJ Kurien stand trial in the Suryanelli sex scam.
Ravi responded with a swipe at the reporter, asking if she had a personal grudge against Kurien.
"Do you have anything personal against Kurien? I`m sure you do. Has something happened between you and him in the past?" Ravi said as his comments were caught on camera.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway