Vayalar Ravi apologises as activists fume at sexist comment
New Delhi: Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi on Thursday apologised after his comment with sexist innuendo against a woman journalist from Kerala landed him in trouble with women activists and the BJP.
"I`m sorry for the comment. I have already conveyed my regret for the remark to the TV channel in which the journalist works," Ravi said.
But National Commission for Woman chairperson Mamta Sharma said the commission would probe the matter.
"Coming from the position of power and maturity, it is really highly deplorable that he has made such a sexist comment," said rights activist Ranjana Kumari.
She said the issue should be raised in parliament as "this has become almost a habit of the political class".
"If he lost control, definitely apology is justified," said BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said Ravi has apologised for his comments and the matter should rest there.
The woman journalist Thursday sought Ravi`s reaction Thursday on demand to make Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson PJ Kurien stand trial in the Suryanelli sex scam.
Ravi responded with a swipe at the reporter, asking if she had a personal grudge against Kurien.
"Do you have anything personal against Kurien? I`m sure you do. Has something happened between you and him in the past?" Ravi said as his comments were caught on camera.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees