Vayalar Ravi apologises as activists fume at sexist comment
New Delhi: Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi on Thursday apologised after his comment with sexist innuendo against a woman journalist from Kerala landed him in trouble with women activists and the BJP.
"I`m sorry for the comment. I have already conveyed my regret for the remark to the TV channel in which the journalist works," Ravi said.
But National Commission for Woman chairperson Mamta Sharma said the commission would probe the matter.
"Coming from the position of power and maturity, it is really highly deplorable that he has made such a sexist comment," said rights activist Ranjana Kumari.
She said the issue should be raised in parliament as "this has become almost a habit of the political class".
"If he lost control, definitely apology is justified," said BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said Ravi has apologised for his comments and the matter should rest there.
The woman journalist Thursday sought Ravi`s reaction Thursday on demand to make Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson PJ Kurien stand trial in the Suryanelli sex scam.
Ravi responded with a swipe at the reporter, asking if she had a personal grudge against Kurien.
"Do you have anything personal against Kurien? I`m sure you do. Has something happened between you and him in the past?" Ravi said as his comments were caught on camera.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi