Vayalar Ravi apologises as activists fume at sexist comment
New Delhi: Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi on Thursday apologised after his comment with sexist innuendo against a woman journalist from Kerala landed him in trouble with women activists and the BJP.
"I`m sorry for the comment. I have already conveyed my regret for the remark to the TV channel in which the journalist works," Ravi said.
But National Commission for Woman chairperson Mamta Sharma said the commission would probe the matter.
"Coming from the position of power and maturity, it is really highly deplorable that he has made such a sexist comment," said rights activist Ranjana Kumari.
She said the issue should be raised in parliament as "this has become almost a habit of the political class".
"If he lost control, definitely apology is justified," said BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said Ravi has apologised for his comments and the matter should rest there.
The woman journalist Thursday sought Ravi`s reaction Thursday on demand to make Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson PJ Kurien stand trial in the Suryanelli sex scam.
Ravi responded with a swipe at the reporter, asking if she had a personal grudge against Kurien.
"Do you have anything personal against Kurien? I`m sure you do. Has something happened between you and him in the past?" Ravi said as his comments were caught on camera.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir