Vayalar Ravi assumes charge as S&T Minister
New Delhi: Vayalar Ravi on Tuesday became the fifth person to assume charge as Minister for Science and Technology in three years since UPA returned to power in 2009.
Ravi was allocated the Science and Technology and Earth Sciences by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh after incumbent Vilasrao Deshmukh took ill critically. Deshmukh passed away on August 14.
Assuming charge of his new portfolios, Ravi said scientists shall continue their good work without any intervention from the Ministry.
The Ministry would always provide the fullest support to the scientists in their endeavour, Ravi was quoted as saying in an official release.
Deshmukh had succeeded Pawan Kumar Bansal, who after a tenure of a little over six months, had returned to his old Water Resources ministry in July last year.
After the UPA was re-elected in May 2009, Prithviraj Chavan was appointed as the Minister for Science and Technology and Earth Sciences.
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal, who held the twin portfolios in UPA-I, was given the charge after Chavan was sent to Maharashtra in November last year as chief minister.
The minor reshuffle of the Cabinet in January saw Bansal being allocated the Science and Technology and Earth Sciences portfolio as additional charge to his Parliamentary Affairs ministry.
There is speculation about a Cabinet reshuffle after the ongoing Monsoon Session of Parliament which concludes on September 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing