Vayalar Ravi to be airlifted from Abidjan
New Delhi: Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi, who was injured in a car crash in Liberia, will be air lifted to India by a special aircraft Wednesday from Abidjan, the capital of Cote d`Ivoire.
A senior official in the Ministry said Ravi will be
brought back home by a special aircraft having all the
required medical support on board and it will arrive in
Chennai tomorrow night.
"The minister`s health is stable and he is recovering
well," the official said.
Ravi was injured in a car accident at Monrovia in Liberia
on February 4. He was on a tour to African countries including
Ghana, Tanzania, Kenya, Liberia and Nigeria.
The Minister was on his way to catch a flight to Nigeria,
his next destination, before a speeding taxi ran into his car.
After initial treatment at the John F Kennedy hospital in
Liberia, Ravi was air lifted to Abidjan the next day where he
was admitted to the PISAM hospital.
The official said CT scan and other tests at the PISAM
hospital showed that Ravi did not sustain any major injury.
Ravi, in a message from Abidjan, has thanked Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and Defence Minister A K Antony for
making arrangements for his return by a special aircraft. He
also thanked Congress chief Sonia Gandhi for her good wishes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!