Vayalar Ravi to be airlifted from Abidjan
New Delhi: Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi, who was injured in a car crash in Liberia, will be air lifted to India by a special aircraft Wednesday from Abidjan, the capital of Cote d`Ivoire.
A senior official in the Ministry said Ravi will be
brought back home by a special aircraft having all the
required medical support on board and it will arrive in
Chennai tomorrow night.
"The minister`s health is stable and he is recovering
well," the official said.
Ravi was injured in a car accident at Monrovia in Liberia
on February 4. He was on a tour to African countries including
Ghana, Tanzania, Kenya, Liberia and Nigeria.
The Minister was on his way to catch a flight to Nigeria,
his next destination, before a speeding taxi ran into his car.
After initial treatment at the John F Kennedy hospital in
Liberia, Ravi was air lifted to Abidjan the next day where he
was admitted to the PISAM hospital.
The official said CT scan and other tests at the PISAM
hospital showed that Ravi did not sustain any major injury.
Ravi, in a message from Abidjan, has thanked Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and Defence Minister A K Antony for
making arrangements for his return by a special aircraft. He
also thanked Congress chief Sonia Gandhi for her good wishes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre