VCK lone member withdraws support to UPA
New Delhi: After DMK, the lone MP of Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi (VCK), Thirumaa Valavan Thol, Wednesday withdrew support to the Congress-led UPA over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
He handed over his withdrawal letter to President Pranab Mukherjee this afternoon.
"I have withdrawn the support as the Centre has shown no keenness in condemning the genocide of Tamils in Sri Lanka," Thol said after the meeting Mukherjee.
Traditionally an ally of DMK, he is the only member of VCK in Parliament.
"We want that the Centre should pass a resolution in Parliament at least condemning the genocide," Thol, an MP from Chidambaram constituency, said.
Last night, DMK formally ended its nine-year-old alliance with the UPA. The party has 18 MPs in the Lok Sabha and six in the Rajya Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof