VCK urges TN, Pondy govts to convene all party meet on Cauvery
Puducherry: Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi thursday said governments of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry should convene all party meetings and simultaneously call for a one day bandh to highlight their rights in Cauvery water system.
Speaking to reporters here, VCK leader Thol Thirumavalavan criticised Karnataka`s plan to observe a bandh in that state on October 6 to protest Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s directive at the Cauvery River Authority meet in Delhi on Septmber 19 to release 9,000 water to Tamil nadu.
He said Tamil Nadu and Puducherry governments should simultaneously hold bandhs to reiterate their just share in the river water to save the delta districts.
As Puducherry would get water in Cauvery system only when Tamil nadu was getting it, the government here should also convene an all-party meet to discuss the issue, he said.
He said VCK planned to conduct mobile propaganda on Oct 3 and 4 in delta districts to highlight their rights and to press for 12 hour power supply for the farm sector and for raising the number of days from 100 to 150 under the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act.
He demanded that Rs 10,000 as relief per acre be given to farmers to mitigate their sufferings due to drought in delta districts, which included Karaikal region of Puducherry.
The yatra would commence on October 3 in Chidambaram and end in Tiruchi the next day, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more
- Anil Kumble pips Ravi Shastri to become new coach of Team India
- Anil Kumble – Facts you must know about India's new coach
- 'Strong' Salman Khan can handle any controversy: Pulkit Samrat
- Vikas Krishan, Manoj Kumar book Olympic berths in Baku