Veerappa Moily urged to arrange finance to restore Kedarnath temple
Konark: Union Culture Minister Chandresh Kumari Katoch on Sunday urged Petroleum Minister M Veerappa Moily to arrange finance for restoring the badly damaged Kedarnath temple in Uttarakhand.
"The Kedarnath temple is in danger and in a very bad shape. Take this up as a major project and arrange finance for its restoration," Katoch requested Moily here.
Katoch`s request to Moily came at the foundation laying function for the development of tourist facilities at the famous Sun Temple by Archaeological Survey of India, National Culture Fund and Indian Oil Foundation.
Kedarnath temple bore the brunt of floods and landslides triggered by the deluge in Uttarakhand on June 16 although the temple, stated to have been built in the 8th century, and the Shivling are safe.
Union Chemicals and Fertiliser Minister Srikanta Jena and Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik were also present.
Katoch said though IOF, a non profit Trust, was created in 2000 to preserve and promote national heritage sites in collaboration with ASI and National Cultural Fund of the ministry of culture, it took 13 years to take off.
"It`s an important decision and Konark has been chosen as the first project for development of facilities", she said.
Stating that the ministry of culture was always short of money and staff, she urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to provide more funds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi