Venkaiah for quick decision on BJP-TDP electoral alliance in Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: Amid continuing suspense on possible electoral alliance between BJP and TDP, senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu on Thursday favoured a speedy decision on the matter so that campaign can start early.
Naidu, who said he is not involved in the issue of alliance in Andhra Pradesh, also said the party cadre should be prepared for any eventuality.
BJP leaders Arun Jaitely and Prakash Javadekar are looking into the issue of alliances in AP, he said.
"I have said we should be ready for anything. Either for contesting alone or for adjustments in case of alliance. That is my advice.
"Secondly, alliances should be rational with political parties speaking to each other. It is not like one giving seats and the other taking. They belong to the people. If it is to be respectable, it should be done as early as possible, preferably before Ugadi (Telugu new year on March 31). Then we can move ahead with renewed vigour in the new year," he told reporters here.
Though BJP and TDP have been engaged in talks on firming up an alliance for polls in undivided AP, they are reportedly stuck on seat sharing.
Replying to a query, he said there have been suggestions to field BJP women leaders like Uma Bharti or Smriti Irani against Congress president Sonia Gandhi (in Rae Bareily) and that the party is discussing the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation