Venkaiah goes through yet another emergency landing situation
Hyderabad: Venkaiah Naidu, the senior BJP leader, is a veteran of emergency landings.
The Hyderabad-bound Air India (AI 560) flight by which he was flying made an emergency landing after the take-off from Delhi airport today due to some technical snag, he said here.
"With Lord Balaji`s blessings, I am safe here. This is the ninth incident where I happened to be on an aircraft or a helicopter that made emergency landing after taking off," Naidu said, talking to reporters.
On April 2, a private aircraft that was to fly Naidu to Ujjain from Indore developed a snag, forcing him to delay his departure by a few hours.
During the launch of Air Deccan`s flight operations in Hyderabad in September 2003, fire broke out in one of the engines of the aircraft. Naidu, then the BJP president, and former civil aviation minister Rajiv Pratap Rudy were on this flight, besides a few journalists.
Naidu said the 131 passengers on the AI flight today faced some tense moments till landing safely back in Delhi.
"I am supposed to be in Hyderabad to inaugurate (Bandaru) Dattatreya`s office inauguration (in Secunderabad). Twenty-five minutes after the plane took off, suddenly there was big sound....There was a feeling as if aircraft is sliding down. We were all confused as to what was happening," he said.
When contacted, an Air India spokesperson said the flight developed a technical sang and flew back to Delhi Airport. The passengers resumed the journey on a special aircraft.
In 2003, Naidu`s chopper had developed a snag and landed in a field in Ranchi. Again, the same year, a chopper carrying him had to land in a forest area in Nagaland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!