Venkaiah Naidu predicts early general elections
Hyderabad: Predicting early elections, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) senior leader M Venkaiah Naidu Sunday said people were looking at the BJP-led coalition as the best alternative to the ruling dispensation.
Addressing a news conference here, he claimed that the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) has been giving indications of early polls. He hinted that general elections may be held in October or November 2013, although they are only due to be held 2014.
"The allies are also publicly saying elections may be held any time. Whenever elections are held, the defeat of Congress party is inevitable. Anti-Congress sentiments are strong across the country," Naidu said
Alleging that the UPA had failed on all fronts, Naidu said people were looking at the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) as the best alternative.
"The BJP will gain further strength in the coming days. Even in states where the BJP is considered weak, the situation will change," he said.
The BJP leader said some leaders like Mulayam Singh were talking of a Third Front, but he described that as a "tried and failed experience".
Naidu also announced that the BJP national council meeting would be held in Delhi on March 2 and 3 to discuss measures to further strengthen the party and to chalk out its future programme.
Targeting the economic policies of the UPA government, Naidu claimed that the decision to allow Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) has increased unemployment. Terming the government "incompetent", he said that because of its anti-people measures, price rise and insecurity, people were waiting to see it out of office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash