Venkaiah Naidu seeks probe into washing away of 24 students in Himachal Pradesh
New Delhi: Expressing shock over the tragic death of 24 students who were washed away in Beas river in Himachal Pradesh, Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu on Monday sought a probe into the circumstances that led to the accident.
"It is really shocking that the children, who had gone there, have lost their lives. The circumstances under which it has happened needs a thorough probe," Naidu told reporters here.
He urged the government of Himachal Pradesh to inquire about the sudden release of water and those responsible for it.
"I would like the Himachal Pradesh government to find out how water was released suddenly. Who is responsible for this thing? And for future, we must issue certain guidelines with regard to release of water, so that such accidents can be prevented from recurring again," he added.
Naidu also said the Centre would extend the required assistance for ferrying the bodies.
"The Civil Aviation Minister has gone there. The bodies will be air-lifted also... Whatever assistance is required in this regard will be extended and we are having coordination with the Centre and state governments of Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Himchal Pradesh," Naidu added.
He also said the Prime Minister had deputed Minister for Human Resource Development Smriti Irani to visit the state and find out what exactly happened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets