Venki `honoured and touched` by Padma Vibhushan
New Delhi: Nobel laureate Venkataraman
Ramakrishnan today said that he was "honoured and touched" by the Padma Vibhushan award bestowed on him by the Indian
"I am honored and touched that the country of my birth
has chosen to recognise our work with this award,"
Ramakrishnan told PTI.
Ramakrishnan, who was awarded the Nobel Prize for
Chemistry last year, was chosen for the Padma Vibhushan award announced on the eve of the country`s 60th Republic Day here.
Chidambaram-born Ramakrishnan, a senior scientist at the
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology at Cambridge, shared the
Nobel Prize with Thomas A Steitz and Ada E Yonath for mapping ribosomes, the protein-producing factories within cells, at the atomic level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh