Verma not aware of position of farmers: Jaitley
Ahmedabad: Sternly criticising Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma over his statement on inflation, BJP leader Arun Jaitley said those who have made such a statement are not aware that farmers are committing suicide due to burden of debt and increase in input costs.
Union Steel Minister Verma had earlier said that he was "happy" over rising prices of food items as it will benefit farmers.
"Inflation adversely affects everybody. All the consumers, including farmers, are badly affected by it. Economic condition of farmers is not getting better due to it, in fact due to rise in input cost their position is bad," Jaitley, who is here on a two-day visit, said.
"In the last few years, farmers have committed suicide due to burden of debt and rise in inputs cost, which reflects that the person who has made such comments is not in sync with reality," Jaitley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?