Verma not aware of position of farmers: Jaitley
Ahmedabad: Sternly criticising Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma over his statement on inflation, BJP leader Arun Jaitley said those who have made such a statement are not aware that farmers are committing suicide due to burden of debt and increase in input costs.
Union Steel Minister Verma had earlier said that he was "happy" over rising prices of food items as it will benefit farmers.
"Inflation adversely affects everybody. All the consumers, including farmers, are badly affected by it. Economic condition of farmers is not getting better due to it, in fact due to rise in input cost their position is bad," Jaitley, who is here on a two-day visit, said.
"In the last few years, farmers have committed suicide due to burden of debt and rise in inputs cost, which reflects that the person who has made such comments is not in sync with reality," Jaitley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why