Verma not aware of position of farmers: Jaitley
Ahmedabad: Sternly criticising Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma over his statement on inflation, BJP leader Arun Jaitley said those who have made such a statement are not aware that farmers are committing suicide due to burden of debt and increase in input costs.
Union Steel Minister Verma had earlier said that he was "happy" over rising prices of food items as it will benefit farmers.
"Inflation adversely affects everybody. All the consumers, including farmers, are badly affected by it. Economic condition of farmers is not getting better due to it, in fact due to rise in input cost their position is bad," Jaitley, who is here on a two-day visit, said.
"In the last few years, farmers have committed suicide due to burden of debt and rise in inputs cost, which reflects that the person who has made such comments is not in sync with reality," Jaitley said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview