Verma, wife get bail: Re-arrested in fresh case
New Delhi: In a dramatic turnaround of events, businessman Abhishek Verma and his wife were arrested on Wednesday afresh by the CBI in a forgery case lodged on Sports Minister Ajay Maken`s complaint, minutes after they were granted bail by a Delhi court in a corruption case.
The CBI sleuths effected arrest of Verma and his Romanian wife Anca Maria Neacsu in the court of Special CBI Judge Sanjeev Jain itself, soon after the couple were granted bail in the corruption case involving their bid to influence unknown officials to stall a government`s move to blacklist a Swiss arms firm.
With the CBI arresting the couple in forgery case, the court remanded him back in judicial custody for a day.
The special court granted bail to the couple after the agency failed to file charge sheet in stipulated 60 days after their arrest in the corruption case. They were arrested on June 8 for allegedly receiving money from a Swiss arms firm to stall its blacklisting proceedings by the government.
During the proceedings, Enforcement Directorate (ED) also moved the court for its permission to arrest the couple in a money laundering case registered against them.
The court, however, allowed the ED to interrogate Verma and his wife in Tihar Jail itself and said the agency may effect the arrest, if required.
While remanding the couple to back in judicial custody, the judge said, "The arrest has been effected by Inspector Vipin Kumar in the court itself and identity of the Investigating Officer is not in dispute at all. I do not find any substance in the opposition of the defence counsel in any manner. Keeping in view the facts and circumstances of the case, both the accused are remanded to judicial custody till tomorrow."
Earlier during the proceeding, the court granted bail to Verma and his wife on a personal bond of Rs 10 lakh each and two sureties of the same amount each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption