Very difficult to post MBBS doctors in rural areas: Azad
New Delhi: Arguing that it was very
difficult to post MBBS doctors in rural areas, Health Minister
Ghulam Nabi Azad Wednesday asserted that the proposed Bachelor of
Rural Health course was targeted at areas where only nurses
and midwives were available and no doctor was willing to go.
Azad is understood to have made these comments at a
meeting with a delegation of the Indian Medical Association
(IMA) who have opposed the introduction of such a course
saying it will clash with MBBS doctors.
The IMA demanded that the rural medicine should be a
diploma course and not a degree course, the institutes which
will teach this course should be called schools instead of
colleges and there should be separate registration for these
Responding to these demands, Azad even as he allayed
their fears said, making the rural medicine course a diploma
would dilute its importance.
He said that the areas where these doctors are
proposed to be posted would be the ones where only auxiliary
nurses are available.
"MBBS doctors are difficult to post in rural areas.
Our main concern is how to improve rural healthcare," Azad is
understood to have told the delegation.
Asking the MCI to be more "enthusiastic" about the
proposal, he said, "the doctors would be posted at places
where only ANMs are there and MBBS doctors are unlikely to be
He said that already the government has diluted many
provisions like not making surgery a part of the course.
The IMA delegation included its chief Dharamprakash
the regional heads of the state IMA units.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured