Vessel case: Court allows release of fishing boat
Kollam: A court here Thursday permitted the conditional release from police custody of the boat on which two Indian fishermen were shot dead allegedly by Italian marines on board a cargo ship.
The boat was allowed to be released on conditions including execution of bond for Rs 15 lakh by the owner and two personal guarantees of Rs 30 lakh.
The boat, St Antony, has been detained at the Coastal Police station at Neendakara near here since February 15, when the two local fishermen fishing from it were shot dead by marines aboard the Italian ship Enrica Lexie.
Granting the plea of the boat owner Freddy, Chief Judicial Magistrate A K Gopakumar directed the Coastal Police to release the boat on compliance of the conditions.
The owner was also asked to produce the boat before the Circle Inspector of the Coastal Police station at Neendakara once every two weeks and not to tamper with the evidences on it like the gun shot mark.
If any maintenance had to be carried out on the boat, it should be done only with the concurrence of the police.
The court order comes five days after the Italian ship was allowed to sail off Kochi, where it had been detained since the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister