Veteran Bollywood actor Pran passes away at 93
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Veteran Bollywood actor Pran, who made a mark for himself by portraying strong negative and supporting roles, passed away at the age of 93 on Friday evening after prolonged illness.
The actor breathed his last at the Lilavati hospital in Mumbai, where he was admitted just a week back. Pran`s condition was frail since the past few months, when he was in and out of the hospital multiple times.
"He passed away at Lilavati Hospital at around 8:30 pm," his son Sunil told a news agency.
The last rites of the actor will be conducted at 12 noon at the Shivaji Park crematorium here on Saturday.
With a career spread over almost six decades, Pran acted in over 400 films and won several awards for them.
The government had also honoured Pran with the Padma Bhushan in 2001. It was in 2013 itself when Pran received the 44th Dadasaheb Phalke Award.
The actor started his career as a photographer in 1940, but it was a chance meeting with a film producer that landed him his debut role in a film called "Yamla Jat".
Later, when he moved from Lahore to Bombay, with the help of the renowned writer Saadat Hasan Manto and actor Shyam, Pran got a break in Bombay Talkies` film "Ziddi", in which Dev Anand played the lead role.
That set the momentum for this versatile talent, who brought new mannerisms and style and lent new dimensions to his characters.
He played the villain as convincingly in films like "Madhumati", "Ziddi" and "Ram Aur Shyam", with the same ease with which he slipped into character roles like the lovable Malang Chacha in "Upkar".
Among his memorable movies are "Azaad", "Madhumati", "Devdas", "Dil Diya Dard Liya", "Ram Aur Shyam", "Aadmi", "Ziddi", "Munimji", "Amardeep", "Jab Pyar Kisise Hota Hai", "Chori Chori", "Chhalia", and "Zanjeer".
Pran is survived by his wife Shukla Ahluwalia, sons Arvind and Sunil, and daughter Pinky.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared