Veteran Congress leader Sat Mahajan passes away
New Delhi: Veteran Congress leader and five time minister Sat Mahajan died here Saturday morning following a brief illness.
Mahajan, 85, is survived by a son and a daughter.
He was ailing for some time and had undergone angioplasty at a hospital here on August 22. He was discharged from the hospital four days ago and was staying with his daughter.
His body is being brought to Nurpur and the cremation would be held tomorrow.
Mahajan emerged as an important leader of Kangra after its merger with Himachal in 1966.
He was elected to Himachal Assembly five times in 1977, 1982, 1982, 1993 and 2003 and served as Cabinet minister in the governments headed by former Chief Minister Ram Lal Thakur and V B Singh.
He was elected to Lok Sabha in 1996 but lost the mid-term Lok Sabha polls in 1998. He was also defeated in the assembly polls in 1990 and did not contest the 2007 Assembly polls to launch his son Ajay Mahajan in electoral politics.
Mahajan was president of Kangra District Congress Committee and served as HPCC president from 1974 to 1978. He started his career from grass root level and served as president of Nurpur Municipal committee for several years.
Chief Minister P K Dhumal, HPCC president V B Singh, BJP National Vice president Shanta Kumar, former HPCC presidents Viplov Thakur and Kaul Singh Thakur, former minister Shiv Kumar and Sukh Ram condoled the demise of the senior Congress leader, known as "Field Marshal" in party circles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing