Veteran CPI leader Gopu passes away
Chennai: Freedom fighter and veteran CPI leader AM Gopu died here on Thursday.
Gopu (82) was suffering from blood cancer and was undergoing treatment at a private hospital here, party sources said.
He is survived by a daughter.
As per his wishes, his body would be handed over to the Government Hospital for research.
Born in Thanjavur district in the state, he participated in India`s freedom struggle and had underwent prison terms, CPI state unit secretary D Pandian said in a statement.
He had gone underground when the party was banned in 1948.
He said Gopu, who was an active trade union leader, had served as National Council member for more than 30 years.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi expressed grief over the death of Gopu, saying he was shocked to learn about the demise of the communist veteran.
Gopu had strived for the welfare of the poor, especially the labour class, he said while expressing his condolences to the bereaved family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez