Veteran CPI leader Gopu passes away
Chennai: Freedom fighter and veteran CPI leader AM Gopu died here on Thursday.
Gopu (82) was suffering from blood cancer and was undergoing treatment at a private hospital here, party sources said.
He is survived by a daughter.
As per his wishes, his body would be handed over to the Government Hospital for research.
Born in Thanjavur district in the state, he participated in India`s freedom struggle and had underwent prison terms, CPI state unit secretary D Pandian said in a statement.
He had gone underground when the party was banned in 1948.
He said Gopu, who was an active trade union leader, had served as National Council member for more than 30 years.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi expressed grief over the death of Gopu, saying he was shocked to learn about the demise of the communist veteran.
Gopu had strived for the welfare of the poor, especially the labour class, he said while expressing his condolences to the bereaved family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video