VHP asks Centre to help construct Ram temple
Allahabad: VHP on Saturday demanded that the Centre pave the way for construction of a Ram Mandir at the disputed site through an act of Parliament "just as it had helped restore the Somnath temple" many years ago.
Claiming that the Centre in a 1994 affidavit in Supreme Court had committed to act in accordance with Hindu sentiments if it was proved that a temple existed at the disputed site, a VHP resolution asked it to facilitate the construction of a temple there in the light of Allahabad High Court`s verdict in the Ayodhya title suits.
"The Centre had on September 14, 1994, said in an affidavit submitted by the Solicitor General of India in the Supreme Court that if it was proved that a temple existed at the disputed site, then the Government will act in accordance with the sentiments of Hindus," the resolution adopted at a meeting of VHP`s international board of trustees in Goa, said.
"Therefore, the VHP international board of trustees urges the Centre to fulfil the promise and facilitate construction of a temple at Ayodhya just as it had helped the restoration of Somnath temple in the past.
We also demand that the Government hand over the 135X100 feet of disputed land as well as the 70 acres acquired around it to the Hindu Samaj.
The Government should also pave way for construction of Ram temple by getting an act passed to this effect in the Parliament", the resolution, a copy of which was made available here, said.
The resolution also demanded that Uttar Pradesh re-constitute the Ayodhya Development Authority as Ayodhya Tirth (pilgrimage) Authority in keeping with "the sentiments of the Hindus with regard to the holy city for millions of years".
"We seek to remind the Government that Mahatma Gandhi had said that all Indians - Hindus, Muslims and Parsis alike -- should be proud of belonging to the country which has produced Maryada Purushottam Ram.
The Government must also recall that the decision to restore Somnath temple was taken by the Union Council of Ministers while Jawaharlal Nehru was the Prime Minister", the resolution said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday