VHP demands land for Ram temple construction
Ayodhya: Vishwa Hindu Parishad on Saturday said it would launch a fresh agitation if the entire 67 acres of land at the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid site here is not allotted for the construction of the Ram temple.
"We require the entire land for the grand temple that we want at the birthplace of Lord Ram," VHP president Ashok Singhal told newspersons here, adding the work for carving of stones for the proposed temple would begin in a month`s time.
"There would be no new agitation for the construction of Ram temple as of now and the VHP would await for the apex court verdict on the issue," he said.
The VHP president however warned that "in case the 67 acres of acquired land by the Union government was not given for temple the outfit would stage a massive agitation."
Singhal said that according to estimates of architects, once construction begins, they would be in a position to install idols in the temple in one and a half year time. "The completion of the temple would however take longer," he said, adding "We have appealed to Ram bhakts to donate for it and the work would be restarted soon."
To a question, Singhal said there were shortcomings in the case filed by Nirmohi Akhara, one of the main litigants in the Ayodhya dispute, in High Court as it had only laid claim over the right to pray and serve Ram Lala.
Singhal also criticised Jagatguru Shankaracharya Swami Swarupanandji over his recent statement in media proposing construction of the temple on lines of a Ram temple in Cambodia.
"When the model of the proposed temple was finalised it was in consultation with saints and religious leaders and now Swarupanand`s proposal of contructing it in any other style is unacceptable to us," Singhal said.
Swarupanandji has always criticised the VHP for its temple movement and now we also sent a letter expressing our reservations over his proposal, Singhal added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you