VHP for reconstitution of Amarnath Shrine Board
Jammu: Alleging that the Jammu and Kashmir
government and the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board failed to
conduct the annual Amarnath pilgrimage smoothly, VHP on Monday demanded reconstitution of the shrine board.
"The state government and Shri Amarnath Shrine Board
have failed to conduct the Amarnath yatra smoothly. Pilgrims
were stopped for hours without any provision for food or
shelter and were also lathicharged and harassed during the
past 24 hours," VHP state chief Rama Kant Dubey told reporters
"The VHP demands that the board be reconstituted by
initiating new and hard working members who are engaged in
good social work in Jammu and Kashmir," he said.
Dubey claimed that the devotees, including women and
children, were forced to sleep on roads without food and
shelter as police stopped their vehicles at several places on
the highway for hours.
"We appeal to the people of Jammu to lend support in
providing shelter and food to the yatris," the VHP state chief
He said the board should have taken into consideration
the increased footfall this year due to media exposure and
holiday season and taken necessary measures to avoid the
situation that led to traffic jams, chaos and breakdown of the
There was a huge influx of around 50,000 pilgrims
after the yatra was suspended on July 2 due to bad weather,
causing heavy rush at the Amarnath cave, Baltal and Pahalgam
As result of the rush, police stopped Amarnath-bound
vehicles from Lakhampur, Kathua, Samba, Nagrota, Patnitop and
Ramban which caused heavy traffic jams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves