VHP for reconstitution of Amarnath Shrine Board
Jammu: Alleging that the Jammu and Kashmir
government and the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board failed to
conduct the annual Amarnath pilgrimage smoothly, VHP on Monday demanded reconstitution of the shrine board.
"The state government and Shri Amarnath Shrine Board
have failed to conduct the Amarnath yatra smoothly. Pilgrims
were stopped for hours without any provision for food or
shelter and were also lathicharged and harassed during the
past 24 hours," VHP state chief Rama Kant Dubey told reporters
"The VHP demands that the board be reconstituted by
initiating new and hard working members who are engaged in
good social work in Jammu and Kashmir," he said.
Dubey claimed that the devotees, including women and
children, were forced to sleep on roads without food and
shelter as police stopped their vehicles at several places on
the highway for hours.
"We appeal to the people of Jammu to lend support in
providing shelter and food to the yatris," the VHP state chief
He said the board should have taken into consideration
the increased footfall this year due to media exposure and
holiday season and taken necessary measures to avoid the
situation that led to traffic jams, chaos and breakdown of the
There was a huge influx of around 50,000 pilgrims
after the yatra was suspended on July 2 due to bad weather,
causing heavy rush at the Amarnath cave, Baltal and Pahalgam
As result of the rush, police stopped Amarnath-bound
vehicles from Lakhampur, Kathua, Samba, Nagrota, Patnitop and
Ramban which caused heavy traffic jams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India