VHP leader Togadia to visit Kandhamal despite ban
Bhubaneswar: Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) international general secretary Praveen Togadia is continuing with his tour to Orissa`s volatile Kandhamal district despite the administration banning his entry, a VHP leader said Friday.
"There is no change in our plan," VHP state unit secretary Gouri Prasad Rath told a news agency.
"Togodia and several others will not only reach Kandhamal today (Friday) they will also spend the night in the district," he said.
The district administration fears that Togadia`s visit may disturb peace in the region, where at least 38 people were killed over months of communal violence following the murder of Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati, a Hindu monk, on August 23, 2008.
Police said a notification was issued by the district administration banning the entry of Togadia and three others to Kandhamal.
"We are keeping a watch on the situation. We are on alert," Superintendent of Police S. Praveen Kumar told IANS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof