VHP leader Togadia to visit Kandhamal despite ban
Bhubaneswar: Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) international general secretary Praveen Togadia is continuing with his tour to Orissa`s volatile Kandhamal district despite the administration banning his entry, a VHP leader said Friday.
"There is no change in our plan," VHP state unit secretary Gouri Prasad Rath told a news agency.
"Togodia and several others will not only reach Kandhamal today (Friday) they will also spend the night in the district," he said.
The district administration fears that Togadia`s visit may disturb peace in the region, where at least 38 people were killed over months of communal violence following the murder of Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati, a Hindu monk, on August 23, 2008.
Police said a notification was issued by the district administration banning the entry of Togadia and three others to Kandhamal.
"We are keeping a watch on the situation. We are on alert," Superintendent of Police S. Praveen Kumar told IANS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing