VHP leader Togadia to visit Kandhamal despite ban
Bhubaneswar: Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) international general secretary Praveen Togadia is continuing with his tour to Orissa`s volatile Kandhamal district despite the administration banning his entry, a VHP leader said Friday.
"There is no change in our plan," VHP state unit secretary Gouri Prasad Rath told a news agency.
"Togodia and several others will not only reach Kandhamal today (Friday) they will also spend the night in the district," he said.
The district administration fears that Togadia`s visit may disturb peace in the region, where at least 38 people were killed over months of communal violence following the murder of Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati, a Hindu monk, on August 23, 2008.
Police said a notification was issued by the district administration banning the entry of Togadia and three others to Kandhamal.
"We are keeping a watch on the situation. We are on alert," Superintendent of Police S. Praveen Kumar told IANS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers