VHP opposes Communal Violence Bill, threatens nation-wide stir
Allahabad: Rubbishing the proposed Communal Violence Bill as "complete mockery of natural justice" and an instance of "religious discrimination against Hindus", VHP on Thursday threatened to launch a nation-wide agitation if the Centre went ahead with the controversial legislation.
"The basic principle of law is that it should be applicable to all. But the proposed bill only targets Hindus while remaining silent on acts of violence by Muslims against the majority community or other minority communities," Vishwa Hindu Parishad International Working President Pravin Togadia said here in a statement.
He alleged that the bill "has in its premise that all Hindus are criminals and all Muslims are innocent victims" and claimed that if it became a law, "the country will become unsafe for all non-Muslims".
"VHP appeals to all political parties to oppose the proposed bill tooth and nail as it not only targets Hindus but also interferes with the powers of state governments," he said.
"If the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre still decides to go ahead, VHP will be compelled to launch a nation-wide agitation. In the meantime, the VHP exhorts all citizens to register their protest by writing letters to the effect to the President, the Prime Minister and the Chief Justice of India", Togadia said.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has also written a letter to the Prime Minister describing the bill as a "recipe for disaster".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof