VHP organises rally, demands Afzal`s hanging
New Delhi: The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) led a rally here Sunday demanding parliament attack convict Afzal Guru`s hanging.
"He attacked not our Parliament but our conscience and self-respect. He should have been hanged the day he was caught," said Surendra Jain, VHP`s national spokesperson.
The rally was held in Tilak Nagar area of the capital. Protesters carried placards and banners demanding Afzal Guru`s hanging.
Mahavir Rana, 28, a protester from Janakpuri, said: "Is the government blind and deaf? Can`t it see the pain of those who lost their loved ones on that fateful day. How can they (government) be so insensitive?"
The rally culminated with the burning of Afzal Guru`s effigy in Tilak Nagar`s main market.
Afzal Guru was sentenced to death for his role in the Dec 13, 2001, attack on parliament. He has filed a mercy petition with the president.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'