VHP plans `90s like agitation for Ram temple, says Togadia
Ramnathi: The Viswa Hindu Parishad (VHP) is planning an aggressive nation-wide agitation similar to the one held in mid-1990s for the construction of a Ram temple in Ayodhya, senior group leader Pravin Togadia said on Friday.
A three-day high-profile conference of the highest board of trustees of the VHP, which began here on Friday, will decide on the details of the agitation for the temple to be built in the disputed 67 acres of land in Ayodhya, he said.
Speaking to reporters at the Ramnathi temple complex 40 km from Panaji, Togadia, VHP`s international general secretary, pointed out that the agitation will be a show of strength to force the Indian Parliament to pass the legislation to hand over the land in Ayodhya.
The conference of international trustees and governing council of the VHP will also deliberate on issues related to propagation of Hinduism, countering Christian missionary movements and the contentious issue of Hindu terror, Togadia said.
"We will deliberate as to when to launch the Hanuman Shakti Jagran process, which will start the final democratic struggle towards the creation of the Ramjanmabhoomi temple. The movement will reach a fervour similar to what we saw in the mid-90s," he claimed.
"The VHP is not party to any court case. We are not satisfied with building a temple spread over 35 feet. We want to construct a temple spread over the entire 67 acres in Ayodya," he said.
"The government should fulfil the promises it has given in an affidavit that if the court gives a verdict in favour of the Ramjanmabhoomi temple, then the entire complex would be handed over for construction of the temple," Togadia said.
The three-day meeting in Goa is being attended by over 250 top ranking delegates, including international president Ashok Singhal and international working president S Vedantam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!