VHP prepares for yatra in Moradabad; Sec 144 imposed, Sadhvi Prachi detained
Zee Media Buerau
Moradabad: BJP leader Sadhvi Prachi, who was on her way to Moradabad to take part in Vishwa Hindutva Parishad`s proposed ‘Jalabhishek march’ was detained in Bijnor on Friday.
Her detention is part of UP government`s efforts to prevent any law and order situation in view of the VHP yatra, BJP`s protest and Congress` ‘peace march’ in Kanth area of Moradabad tomorrow.
As a precautionary measure, Section 144 has already been imposed in the area.
Prachi, who had contested the 2012 Assembly elections on BJP ticket, was among around 40 persons accused of inciting Muzaffarnagar riots through their provocative speeches.
At the epicentre of the trouble in Moradabad is a temple in Muslim dominated Akbarpur village belonging to the Jatav community. Trouble started last month after a section of villagers protested against installation of a loudspeaker in the temple.
The protesters eventually ensured that the loudspeaker was taken down by the district administration.
The Jatavs protested the move and and alleged discrimination. They also claimed that the temple had a loudspeaker for the last 15 years, they only got a new one installed as replacement in June.
The VHP has demanded re-installation of loudspeakers and wants to hold to perform puja at the temple.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter