VHP to protest against proposed Muslim quota
Kochi: Vishwa Hindu Parishad on Friday said it
plans to hold a massive nationwide agitation to protest the
Centre`s proposed move to provide reservations to Muslims from within the 27% OBC quota.
"This is being made with an eye on the political vote bank," VHP Internaional General secretary Praveen Togadia told reporters here.
A resolution against religion based reservation was passed
unanimously at the three-day VHP All India Board of Trustees
and Governing council meeting which began here today.
"Religion based reservations have already been given in
some states like Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and West
Bengal and we demand that it should be withdrawn immediately,"
the resolution said.
Criticising Union law minister Salman Kurshid, who
recently stated there is a proposal to provide six per cent
reservation for Muslims from 27 per cent reservation for OBC,
he said VHP would oppose the move `totally and completely`.
This move would further enhance demand by Muslims and
Christians to give them reservations in all fields like
education, jobs, loans and exemptions from various rules, he
Already, the Ranganathan commission has said Muslims and
Christians should be included in SC reservations.
VHP strongly opposes religion based reservations to
Muslims or Christians in any form from the OBC, SC, ST or open
category now given by the Union Government, he said, adding
Constitution does not provide religion based reservation and
those demanding the same should be prosecuted.
"We are finalising an action plan for a massive all India
agitation to protect our jobs, our democratic rights and our
reservation. We will protect reservation of OBC, SC/ST
communities," he said and appealed to all Hindus to come
together to defeat the Muslim and Christian vote bank
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information