VHP to protest against proposed Muslim quota
Kochi: Vishwa Hindu Parishad on Friday said it
plans to hold a massive nationwide agitation to protest the
Centre`s proposed move to provide reservations to Muslims from within the 27% OBC quota.
"This is being made with an eye on the political vote bank," VHP Internaional General secretary Praveen Togadia told reporters here.
A resolution against religion based reservation was passed
unanimously at the three-day VHP All India Board of Trustees
and Governing council meeting which began here today.
"Religion based reservations have already been given in
some states like Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and West
Bengal and we demand that it should be withdrawn immediately,"
the resolution said.
Criticising Union law minister Salman Kurshid, who
recently stated there is a proposal to provide six per cent
reservation for Muslims from 27 per cent reservation for OBC,
he said VHP would oppose the move `totally and completely`.
This move would further enhance demand by Muslims and
Christians to give them reservations in all fields like
education, jobs, loans and exemptions from various rules, he
Already, the Ranganathan commission has said Muslims and
Christians should be included in SC reservations.
VHP strongly opposes religion based reservations to
Muslims or Christians in any form from the OBC, SC, ST or open
category now given by the Union Government, he said, adding
Constitution does not provide religion based reservation and
those demanding the same should be prosecuted.
"We are finalising an action plan for a massive all India
agitation to protect our jobs, our democratic rights and our
reservation. We will protect reservation of OBC, SC/ST
communities," he said and appealed to all Hindus to come
together to defeat the Muslim and Christian vote bank
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Bipasha Basu - Karan Singh Grover wedding: Official pictures from mehendi/ sangeet ceremony are here
- Crucial file on 'truth behind Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose's disappearance' destroyed in 1972
- Russian woman raped in Goa by guest house owner
- Nobody can portray Lakhan better than me: Anil Kapoor
- PHOTOS: How Mumbai Indians' captain Rohit Sharma celebrated his 29th birthday!