VHP`s Ayodhya yatra a `farce`: Shankaracharya
Haridwar: Terming VHP`s proposed 84 Kosi Parikrama as detrimental to communal amity, Govardhanpeeth Puri Shankaracharya Swami Adhokchajanand on Friday demanded adequate steps before it disturbs peace.
He said he had written to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav apprising him of the need for punitive measures against those conspiring to disrupt peace in the country.
Terming VHP`s proposed programme as just a "farce", he said, "The Parikrama was a conspiracy by people out to earn a bad name for Hinduism to "push simple-hearted people into the abyss of darkness."
He said Ashok Singhal and people associated with his organisation should not be given undue importance.
Accusing VHP of disrupting peace in the country earlier too, he said authorities must do something to prevent it from going ahead with its programme.
Akhil Baharatiya Akhara Parishad chief Shri Mahant Gyandas has also said that organising the 84 Kos Parikrama during "Chaturmas" is not in keeping with the Vedic traditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'