VHP`s Ayodhya yatra a `farce`: Shankaracharya
Haridwar: Terming VHP`s proposed 84 Kosi Parikrama as detrimental to communal amity, Govardhanpeeth Puri Shankaracharya Swami Adhokchajanand on Friday demanded adequate steps before it disturbs peace.
He said he had written to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav apprising him of the need for punitive measures against those conspiring to disrupt peace in the country.
Terming VHP`s proposed programme as just a "farce", he said, "The Parikrama was a conspiracy by people out to earn a bad name for Hinduism to "push simple-hearted people into the abyss of darkness."
He said Ashok Singhal and people associated with his organisation should not be given undue importance.
Accusing VHP of disrupting peace in the country earlier too, he said authorities must do something to prevent it from going ahead with its programme.
Akhil Baharatiya Akhara Parishad chief Shri Mahant Gyandas has also said that organising the 84 Kos Parikrama during "Chaturmas" is not in keeping with the Vedic traditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says