VHP`s Ayodhya yatra a `farce`: Shankaracharya
Haridwar: Terming VHP`s proposed 84 Kosi Parikrama as detrimental to communal amity, Govardhanpeeth Puri Shankaracharya Swami Adhokchajanand on Friday demanded adequate steps before it disturbs peace.
He said he had written to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav apprising him of the need for punitive measures against those conspiring to disrupt peace in the country.
Terming VHP`s proposed programme as just a "farce", he said, "The Parikrama was a conspiracy by people out to earn a bad name for Hinduism to "push simple-hearted people into the abyss of darkness."
He said Ashok Singhal and people associated with his organisation should not be given undue importance.
Accusing VHP of disrupting peace in the country earlier too, he said authorities must do something to prevent it from going ahead with its programme.
Akhil Baharatiya Akhara Parishad chief Shri Mahant Gyandas has also said that organising the 84 Kos Parikrama during "Chaturmas" is not in keeping with the Vedic traditions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate