Vice Admiral Joshi to head Navy`s sword arm
New Delhi: Vice Admiral DK Joshi, who has commanded India`s lone aircraft carrier INS Viraat, has been named as the next commander-in-chief of the Navy`s sword arm -- the Mumbai-based Western Naval Command, Defence Ministry sources said here on Saturday.
Joshi, who is at present the chief of the Integrated Defence Staff (IDS) headquarters here, will take over from incumbent Vice Admiral Sanjeev Bhasin at Mumbai after the latter`s retirement on April 31.
His appointment to head the Western Naval Command came on Friday night, sources said.
Joshi, who is tipped to be appointed the next Navy Chief after Admiral Nirmal Verma retires less than a year from now, had taken over as IDS chief on December 31 last year.
The vice admiral has earlier served as the commander-in-chief of the Port Blair-based Andaman and Nicobar Command, a tri-services formation, and as the commander of the Mumbai-based Western Fleet of the Indian Navy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP