Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha new IDS Chief
New Delhi: Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha, an ace
naval aviator, has been appointed Chief of the Integrated
Defence Staff (CISC), almost two months after the top
tri-services post fell vacant.
Sinha`s name for the post was cleared today by the
Appointments Committee of the Cabinet, Defence Ministry
officials said here.
The Integrated Defence Staff (IDS) is a tri-services
organisation headed in turns by Lt Gen-rank officers from the
three services and this time, it was Navy`s turn.
The previous CISC, Vice Admiral D K Joshi, took over as
the Western Naval Command chief at Mumbai on April 30 and
since then, the post was lying vacant, with Sinha being the
He was till now holding the charge of the Deputy CISC.
The Defence Ministry had sent the case for appointment of
the CISC to the Law Ministry, which gave its opinion that
Sinha should be given the charge of the tri-services
organisation, official sources said.
A veteran qualified flying instructor, Sinha has flown
different types of aircraft in his career spanning close to
four decades. The Vice Admiral has also commanded various
ships and naval air stations in his career.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir