Vice Admiral Verma first from Bhopal to be Naval Chief
Bhopal: Vice Admiral Nirmal Verma has become the first person from the city of Bhopal to be appointed as the Chief of Naval Staff.
Orders to appoint Verma as the Chief of Naval Staff were issued recently by the Ministry of Defence, official sources said here Thursday.
Verma, presently posted as Commander-in-Chief of the Vizag-based Eastern Naval Fleet, will take charge as Chief of Naval Staff on September one succeeding Admiral Suresh Mehta, who retires on August 31, they said.
With his appointment as the Chief of Naval Staff, he has become the first person from Bhopal to head any defence service in the country-- Navy, Airforce or Army, sources
Verma, a student of St Josephs` Convent School at Idgah Hills in the city, joined the National Defence Academy`s 35 course, they said.
The Admiral-designate, whose father Harishankar Verma is a lawyer and presently living in Mumbai with his another son, Bimal Verma who is also in the Navy as a Rear Admiral, had also taken part in the Convent`s Golden Jubilee Aniversary held here three years back, sources said.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today