Vice President Ansari leaves for Cuba
Lima: Vice President Hamid Ansari Tuesday left here for the first ever bilateral visit to Cuba by a top Indian leader after a "landmark" tour of Peru during which four agreements were signed.
Ansari will be the first Indian VVIP to go to the Communist country on a bilateral visit as earlier trips by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and others were in connection with multi-lateral events and meetings.
He will hold talks with President Raul Castro but it is still unclear whether he will meet Fidel Castro, the hero of the Cuban revolution who gave up the presidency in 2008 because of poor health.
Officials described India`s ties with Cuba as "deep, enduring and historical".
Summing up Ansari`s meetings with Peru`s leadership, Secretary (West) Dinkar Khullar said the visit was a "landmark" one as India had set the pace by engaging in key fields with the fastest growing country in Latin America.
India signed four agreements with Peru, including one on defence cooperation, to boost ties with the resource-rich country. The pacts were signed yesterday at the end of Ansari`s three-day visit.
Two agreements cover an exchange programme in education and another a letter of intent for cooperation in culture. The two sides also signed an agreement to set up a joint commission to step up bilateral ties.
Peru came out in support of India`s claim for permanent membership in an expanded UN Security Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das